When we started the introduction diet, I was worried nuts were one of the foods that might be causing us problems. After a couple of days eating soup, we were ready for pancakes, but the recipe in the GAPs book called for nuts. After much searching on the web, I found a couple of coconut flour recipes and adapted them to suit us. Here is the recipe. We use it with sweet things like the banana, honey and coconut kefir above, or with pate or smoked salmon and homemade cream cheese. These are suitable for the GAPs introduction diet about stage 3 as they have no sugar in at all.
(makes about 5 or 6)
Equipment needed: Hand blender or whisk, bowl and frying pan.
2 tbsp. coconut flour
2-3 tbsp. yogurt, coconut milk or coconut milk kefir
1/2 tsp granulated gelatin (I use Great Lakes)
Coconut oil or ghee for frying.
- Blend all ingredients in a bowl and let it sit for a couple of minutes.
- Heat the ghee/coconut oil in the pan.
- Spoon blobs of batter into the pan (no more than 1tbsp each)
- Fry until golden then flip.
- Serve either sweet or savoury.
Tip: flip with a metal spatula as they are quite fragile, and I use a knife to help guide them onto the spatula.